top of page

Child Care Assistance

for Single Parents Seeking Higher Education

Are you stuck in a job that is going nowhere?


Do you have a dream you have not been able to realize because you didn't go to college? 

Do you have children between 18 months to 12 years of age who need child care? 

Are you willing to work closely with On Point for College and Thea Bowman House to achieve your goals?

If you answered yes to these questions, you may be able to benefit from our child care assistance scholarship!

The Movin' on Up  scholarship will subsidize a portion of your child care with Thea Bowman House while you are actively enrolled in a higher education program. You will work closely with Thea Bowman House and our partner On Point for College, as well as be required to submit attendance records and performance reports.

The Scholarship is Funded By

In 2016, the Women's Fund of Herkimer and Oneida Counties awarded Thea Bowman House a grant of $10,000 to help single parents return to college with child care benefit.

In 2017, the Utica National Insurance Group Foundation awarded a grant for this purpose. The Van Waes family added an additional grant. These are donors advised funds of the Community Foundation.


Our goal is to grow these funds to make it possible for many to attend college. Currently there is no funding at the governmental level for this purpose.

If you would like to make an appointment to talk about this program, please call 315-797-0748 and mention the "Movin' on Up" scholarship. 

bottom of page